How to get to Burlington, Vermont, USA

Burlington is here.

From Montreal: 100 miles
From Boston: 220 miles
From New York City: 290 miles
From Albany, N.Y.: 145 miles

Burlington International Airport is located 4 miles from the hotel and 3.5 miles from the University campus. Major airlines include United, Continental, USAirways, JetBlue, American, Delta and Northwest.

Most international flights land in New York, Washington DC, Boston, or Chicago, where you will have to clear customs and then transfer to a local flight to Burlington.

Burlington is served by Vermont Transit Bus Lines. Amtrak, the railway service, travels to Essex Junction, just 20 minutes from the Hotel.

Ferries run on Lake Champlain, between New York State Interstate 89 and Vermont. For information about the three routes — Essex, N.Y.-Charlotte, Vt.; Port Kent, N.Y.-Burlington, Vt.; or Plattsburgh, N.Y.-Grand Isle, Vt. — call (802) 864-9804 or visit

Driving Directions

From I-89 North or South: Take Exit 14W. Proceed 1 mile west on Route 2 (Williston Road, which becomes Main Street). Follwo Main Street to Lake, turn right to Hotel.

From north or south on Route 7: Enter Burlington from either direction. Turn onto Main Street (Route 2). Go downhill to Hotel.

From the Adirondack Northway (I-87): Take Exit 20. Proceed north on Route 9 to Route 149, headed to Fort Ann, N.Y. In Fort Ann, take Route 4 North to Route 22A in Vermont. Follow Route 22A through Vergennes, then follow Route 7 North into Burlington. Turn left onto Main Street (Route 2). Go downhill to Lake and turn right to Hotel.

From Burlington International Airport: From airport grounds, turn left onto Airport Drive. At next stoplight, turn right onto Williston Road/Route 2 West. Drive 4-5 miles west to where Williston Road becomes Main Street.

For interactive maps see MapQuest

Other useful links:

Visa information

Updated 28 October 2004

International travel to meetings in the U.S.

General information about visas:

The U.S. State Department requires citizens of many countries to obtain visas to attend a scientific meeting. In addition, as of 26 October 2004, the State Department requires citizens from visa waiver program (VWP) countries to obtain visas if they do not have machine-readable passports and they wish to visit the U.S.

If a VWP national does not possess a machine-readable passport or a non-immigrant visa, the traveler may be granted a one-time exemption. This exemption will be noted in their passport.

As of 30 September 2004, the US-VISIT Program, implemented by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, applies to all visitors with visas and those traveling under the Visa Waiver Program.

We advise anyone who may need a visa for the meeting to apply early. Visa applicants should apply at least 3 months in advance. Security-related policies have greatly increased the processing time for visa applications. U.S. consular officers will now be interviewing most applicants as part of the application process.

Information on the procedures to follow to obtain a visa or a machine-readable passport and suggested actions in the event of a visa delay or denial are provided at the site listed below:

If you need a letter of invitation, e-mail the organizers to make your request (